Sleep Apnea Facts
Sleep apnea occurs in all age groups and both sexes, but there are a number of factors that may put you at higher risk.
- Loud snoring
- Morning headaches and nausea
- Gasping or choking while sleeping
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Irritability and/or feelings of depression
- Disturbed sleep
- Concentration and memory problems
- Frequent nighttime urination
- A family history of sleep apnea
- Having a small upper airway
- Being overweight
- A large neck size (17” > men, 16” > women)
- Smoking and alcohol use
- Being age 40 or older
Ask Us How We Can Help
- Approximately 42 million American adults have SDB
- 1 in 5 adults have mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)
- 1 in 15 has moderate to severe OSA
- 75% of severe SDB cases remain undiagnosed
- Untreated moderate to severe sleep apnea increases motor vehicle accident risk 15 times higher than average
- Moderate to severe sleep apnea increases the risk of stroke and heart attack 23 times average
- Mandibular repositioning device (MRD) are a custom made, adjustable, oral appliance that maintains the lower jaw in a forward position during sleep. This mechanical protrusion widens the space behind the tongue and reduces the vibration and physical obstruction to breathing and the tendency to snore.
- MRD treatment offers significant improvement of sleep apnea symptoms including sleepiness, quality of life, systolic or diastolic blood pressure and cognitive performance.
- MRDs are indicated as primary treatment for patients with mild to moderate OSA
- OSA is a chronic condition; MRD or CPAP treatment must be used nightly
Oral appliances are partially covered by Medicare and all medical insurance policies.